Quick spaghetti sauce, yup you heard right

I used to be a jar sauce kind of gal when it came to spaghetti, until I made my own sauce. Now having spoiled myself for...myself I find it hard to ever go back!



Tonight's meal is a favorite in this house and so fabulously easy that it seems almost sinful.

Need:

1 can (or jar) of either crushed or whole tomatoes
Chopped red, yellow, and orange peppers
1/2 white or yellow onion
5-6 garlic cloves (or to taste, we LOVE garlic)
Fresh or dried basil (my favorite in the colder months is in the tube*)
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp fennel (if you like it that is)
1 lb turkey Italian sausage
- any veggies you have leftover be them tomatoes, carrots (not too many as it can sweeten the sauce), mushrooms, peppers...you name it and it can probably go in this sauce!)

Cook the Italian sausage throughly and add the fennel and chopped garlic cloves. Add the onions and peppers and let them simmer with the meat. When the veggies have cooked down a bit add the tomatoes. If I am using whole tomatoes that either I or Hunts have canned I use my emulsifier to 'sauce them up' a bit. I leave a few chucks here and there. Add the basil and oregano and let the sauce simmer in the meat.
Cook your spaghetti and serve with a nice chunk of fresh garlic bread.

* I have used these herb tubes for a few years now and really like them. They're especially nice in the winter months when my herb garden is not available and my stockpiles have been depleted. For my tomato sauce I like to use the Italian blend. So yummy and easy!
http://www.gourmetgarden.com/en/story/39/about-us




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puberty, Jedis, and experts

A (late) Valentine to those who work in a school

The Worst Year of my Life, or How I Failed My Child