A many meal kind of day

Back when I worked full-time I would prep and/or cook all my food for the week ahead on Sundays. When my son was a baby this time also included making his baby food and freezing it into portions for the week.
Today I decided that we have been eating out far too much and the main reason is because I've gotten lazy. Lazy in that I not only had no food prepared, but no food in the house! So today I revisited an old habit and revisited some recipes I haven't made in a long while. This week's menu is:

Monday - easy chicken enchiladas
Tuesday - beef burritos with guacamole
Wednesday - spaghetti with garlic bread
Thursday - crockpot chicken chili

Although I made all these meals today, I will be adding the recipes as the week progresses. Tonight's recipe is for easy chicken enchiladas with sour cream/green chili sauce. My family does not like corn tortillas, well I should say that I am outvoted 2-1 on flour vs. corn tortillas!

Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream/Green Chili Sauce

3 chicken breasts 
6-10 corn or flour tortillas 
1 medium yellow onion
1 block low-fat cream cheese
16 oz low-fat sour cream
1 medium can green chilis
1 can low sodium cream of chicken soup
1 block 2% sharp cheddar

Today I poached the chicken with some pico de gallo leftover from one of those aforementioned restaurants. Shred the chicken and set it aside. 
Chop the onion finely (I use a cuisinart mini-chopper) cook the onions until translucent and pour them over the block of cream cheese. Mix the chicken, onion, and cream cheese with 1 tsp ground cumin and 2 cloves of chopped garlic. This is your enchilada 'insides'.

For the sauce - mix 16 oz sour cream, 1 can cream of chicken soup, and green chilis together. 

Stuff each tortilla with the enchilada 'insides'. Tonight I chose to make them a little larger than usual, so only 6 - 10 inch tortillas. If I make them a little thinner I use 10 - 10 inch tortillas. If using 10 tortillas I use a 3 qt. Pyrex dish. With 6 tortillas I used a 10X10 glass dish. 

Spray the glass baking dish of choice with a nonstick spray and place the stuffed tortillas with the seams facing down, side by side. 
Pour the sour cream mixture over the enchiladas and spread it across making sure all the tortillas are covered. 

Grate the cheese and spread it over the enchiladas like so:


Bake for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees. I like to put sliced jalapeƱos on my serving(s) for a little extra spice. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puberty, Jedis, and experts

A (late) Valentine to those who work in a school

Deck those halls and everywhere else too!