The South and Snow


I posted on FB today that my application to be a Southerner was revoked because it snowed and I only had a 1/2 a loaf of bread in the house. Only someone who lives in or has lived in the south could understand that there is an element of truth to in that statement. The truth comes in the fact that if you were not born a southerner...well you will just never really be one!
I myself am a geographic bastard because I am an Air Force brat. I was born in Oklahoma, but was only there for 2 months. My joke is that I saw everything there was to see and crawled out on my own. No offense to Oklahoma at all, I have had great times in OK, it just wasn't in the cards for me to stay long there or anywhere really. But now onto southerners...

Southerners have a love/hate relationship with snow. I came from the north where snow is just a part of winter. You deal with it the best you can, but you never let it hinder your day to day life. If it ever closes things down it's not so much snow as it is then a blizzard. 
The South and snow go together like anchovies and chocolate. Some may think to try it, but it would not become a staple in anyone's pantry. With the mention of snow the true Southerners reaction is to immediately get in the car and drive to 'The Kroger' to make sure that one is stocked up on bread and milk. I've never understood this combination as you can't even make French toast with it. I personally make sure that we have all the essentials such as a nice full-bodied red and some hot chocolate for the kid types running around. Grocery-wise I also make sure I have all my chili ingredients. Screw milk and bread, this is chili weather people! 

So today I awoke to a dusting of snow on the neighborhood. It wasn't record breaking by any means, but it was the earliest snow recorded in decades. Definitely the earliest I've seen snow since moving south. 


To give you an idea of what it normally looks like sans "snow" and tarp, here is a shot from about a month ago when everything was green and the humidity was way too high. It looks so sad now!


For now I will have to live with not going to Kroger today and hope that there's not a snowpocolypse forecasted for this weekend because we really are out of milk!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puberty, Jedis, and experts

A (late) Valentine to those who work in a school

Deck those halls and everywhere else too!