Gramma got her groove...back?

I was unlucky enough to have had the stomach flu this past week. Yesterday I was at a local drug store waiting for my phenergan (another word for love) prescription to be filled and I was afforded the opportunity to do some people watching. This particular drug store attracts most of the city so there's a great cross-section of people coming and going.

My eyes fixed on one particular lady. She looked to be in her mid 80's and was perfectly turned out. She had a starched white shirt with a bright green cable-knit sweater pulled over it and all matched to her pressed khakis. Her makeup was subtle and defined her face rather than painted it. And the topper to her look was just that, a wig that you could tell had been styled just right. Again, subtle enough to allow her beauty to show through rather than let it wear her. 

I watched her for awhile as she went up and down each aisle. Remember, I was bored and nauseous so fixating on her was helping me to pass the time. I noticed that she had bought some laundry detergent as well as a large bottle of Metamucil. I thought that this trip must be a big outing for her as she was doing a little shopping and a lot of looking. I also noticed her feet. This was the one place where she even remotely showed her age. She was wearing compression socks and one of her feet was turned sharply inwards. She walked slowly with a slight limp because of this. I selfishly began to think of my own arthritic 40-something feet and made a mental note to see my doctor so that I would not end up like her with that walk that looked so painful. 
Just as I was having this thought she stopped at an end cap about 5 feet from me. She picked up a box of ultra-thin condoms and began to study the package. My nausea took backseat to the small drama unfolding in front of me. I wondered, was she looking at these for curiosity or was she buying them for a grandchild perhaps? Surely she was just curious and killing time reading, or this is what I told myself anyhow. I was still telling myself this as she tossed the condoms into her basket! 
OK, I thought still could be for a grandchild or who knows who. Then she reached over and grabbed the box of generic lubricant. She carefully read the package, turning it over to look at the price as well as the directions. Apparently she was a name brand kind of lady because she shakily returned that box to the shelf and grabbed the box of KY next to it. Boom! Straight into the cart it went.

I don't know this woman, but I love her. Obviously she has kept it ALL together and I need to take notes. She truly was perfectly turned out in every area of her life. I suppose her feet do hurt her, but I guess that doesn't matter when they aren't on the floor!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puberty, Jedis, and experts

A (late) Valentine to those who work in a school

Deck those halls and everywhere else too!